Monday, July 21, 2008

Love Abides

A week has passed in silence on entre but lets flip the record over now. The ends where it begins. An enormous thank you to all of those who kept me afloat this week when drowning seemed almost certain: Monica, Ming, Mike, Mom, my brother. I feel strangely capable today and its got everything to do with you all. A book was handed to me early last week, Hanif Kureishi's Intimacy. I devoured it whole and I've over 10 million words to say about it to anyone whose read it, or not. But let's be brief and ease into it. All of us, everyone close to me, we are much better at promiscuity than we are at "families," but lets celebrate and raise glasses to this, rather than play their smug game of assuming thats the only way to live. And Kureishi writes this:

Desire is the original anarchist and undercover agent--no wonder people want it arrested and kept in a safe place. And just when we think we've got desire under control it lets us down or fills us with hope. Desire makes me laugh because it makes fools of us all. Still, rather a fool than a fascist.

2 comments:

Monica said...

I should go back and read that book again and see if I can be more interested in it this time. I will say that quote looks A LOT better as a semi-decontextualized excerpt. Take issue with that statement now! The college drop-out wants to argue literature with the Stanford grad!

Thanks for the shout-out, I'm eagerly awaiting the day we can do this in person, 'cuz then you'll be able to pay for my coffee. (Seriously though, good times ahead.)

manoverbored said...

Coincidentally, I'm reading The Buddha of Suburbia right now myself.